Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Achievement of Desire

This is definitely my favorite piece we have read in class so far. I can really relate to this article, especially when he talks about shutting himself off from his family so he could read and study. In high school, I would hide from my family so I could have peace and quiet while I studied. Even though I’m still in undergrad, I do have this feeling of nostalgia when it comes to my family and the way things used to be before I started getting really involved in school and sports. I have missed out on so many family dinners and events because I have been too busy studying. But, even though I ignored my family when I studied, my mom was very active in my education. I did not want her bothering me, but she would always make sure I was on top of my school work and keeping my grades up. The author, Rodriguez, was very self-motivated and his parents were not very involved in his education, which sounds idea, but I don’t know how he managed it all all by himself.  All of those years my mother bothered me about school work, even though I just wanted to be alone, helped shape me into the student I am now and I don't know where I would be academically if  she hadn't been there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment